September 16, 2010

N-Y-C

So I had a very eventful trip to New York. I auditioned for my very first Broadway show and sang well, so that's good. I learned that being a non-equity actor in NYC is kinda hard. I had to wake up at 4 AM to get to that Broadway call and I wasn't seen until 1 PM. Being Non-Equity I got to sing less than the Equity actors and I think the casting associate was merely humoring all of us. "Great job!" he said, when I was done singing. As if I was some pre-schooler that had just colored in the lines for the first time. Whatever, eventually it will get better. Paying dues is important. All of the Equity actors were older than me, they were probably in my boat when they were 22.

Something very interesting happened to me today. I was downtown with Davey Joe, Andi, and Annie. We had spent a little time at The Drama Book Shop (where one can purchase Shakespeare action figures...I want one). After convincing Andi that no, she did not need to buy a dozen plays, we decided to go get some lunch. Annie wanted Taco Bell because we were deprived of one in Chicago and it was cheap. So, to Taco Bell we go!

We are all sitting there eating out lunch, talking happily when Davey's eyes get big and he straightens up. "You guys...you guys!" All of the sudden a tall man dressed entirely in black walks past us. This would be normal except for one thing...this man has a very scary clown mask on that covers his entire face. He also had gloves on. We all stare at each other as he walks up to the counter.

"Should we leave?" Davey asks, looking around frantically.

"Um....YES you should not have to ask that question!" Annie chimes in and we all grab our food and run out the door. Two other tables follow us.

We're all so scared that we run to the police man that is a few cars down, writing a parking ticket. Annie decides she should tell him about the scary man in the mask that seriously looked like he was going to rob the Taco Bell.

Andi looks over confused, "I thought he was a street performer?"

"Andi, he was going to rob that Taco Bell!"

Annie finishes talking to the police man and he says he'll go check it out. He then proceeds to cross the street...and walk in the other direction. We had pointed to the Taco Bell...he knew where it was.

"What is he doing?" Davey Joe asks

"New York's finest...right there." I reply as we cross the street and pass a man yelling at everyone who walks by.

"I AM BIPOLAR SCHIZOPHRENIC! I COULD KILL YOU!" He is screaming at the top of his lungs. Good to know...I'm so glad that the crazies were out on 8th Avenue today. I wonder if he was yelling at the civilians on the street or the voices in his head...

I get to the airport and my flight is delayed two hours because there is a TORNADO in the city. What is up with that? NYC is NOT supposed to have storms like that! I was sitting on the floor trying to charge my phone and laptop when I noticed this big group of girls in sparkly cowboy hats in the bar across from me DOWNING shots. Lots of shots. So of course they are on my plane. They are taking pictures, screaming, and being generally obnoxious. Apparently one of them is getting married, but I don't really care. I'm hoping a flight attendant shuts them up soon...or that their window mysteriously breaks and they get sucked out into the atmosphere...

No comments:

Post a Comment