February 16, 2011

Valentine Fail

I remembered this story the other day and felt the need to share. Why is middle school the most awkward time ever?

When I was 13 I received my very first (and ONLY) Valentine from a cute boy that I liked. His name was Ben and I was so excited. I got him a hat of a sports team that he liked and something for tennis or soccer or some random sport that he played.

His mom drove him over to my house and we sat on the couch to exchange gifts. He had asked me what I would like and I told him I liked chocolate and stuffed animals! Which is cliche, but very very true. So what did he get me? A stuffed animal with chocolate tied to it in pink ribbon! They had beautiful ribbon curls so his mom either wrapped it or he ended up being gay. Knowing me, it was probably the latter.

I, like any other thirteen year old, was gushing over the stuffed animal when I went to give it a hug. It was a small bunny and I remember thinking it was sooo cute...until it squeaked. I paused and examined the fabric and the fact that the squeaker was very high pitched and took up most of the animal. It took me a few minutes to realize that he had not given me a stuffed animal. Oh no.

It was a dog toy.

He later told me he found it at Kroger...near the dog food. So. Yeah.

...Ten years later I still remember that day! Excited little me sitting on the couch, receiving a dog toy as a valentine.

No comments:

Post a Comment